Sunday, August 14, 2011

Moose and Driving

* This blog entry contains pictures of graphic destruction. 


So this is the result of a full on collision with a moose. I was the driver and walked away with a couple of scratches. I think I'm pretty lucky to be alive. Nevermind how lucky I am to be uninjured (which I consider more astonishing). My dad of course thinks "someone" must be looking out for me. 

What I would like to share is that when you are driving at night, unless you have the virtue of driving with high beams on at all times, moose are nearly impossible to spot. This moose was standing in the middle of the road, and I didn't see it until it was only 15 metres in front of me. I was driving about 85KPH, I may have managed to get my foot on the brake before impact, but I doubt it. I do remember hearing the tire screech. I don't know how long it took me to decide to get out of the car. 

A friend on Facebook commented that "I can only assume your grandma-like driving practices saved you this time." I agree. I'd hazard to guess that had my speed been much higher, the scratch on my head could have been much worse. 

I am continually amazed at the speed of which people pass me at night. The news is full of reports of injury and death every WEEK. Newfoundland is averaging 2 moose-vehicle collisions PER DAY. 

In the day, I drive 110KPH. At night, especially when I have to lower my lights, 80 is my new speed. Even lower if its foggy or raining. Anything else is putting yourself at unnecessary risk. And for what, a getting there a few minutes earlier?

FYI: The police came by and shot the moose. I broke its legs and it couldn't get up. Probably fine otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment