Friday, May 7, 2010

64 bit Windows Still Not Ready

As my first technology post in a long time, I shall warn you this won't be a habit. But anyways, here goes.

I've been an advocate of 64 Bit Windows since Vista came out. It is more secure (albeit probably only through obscurity), and its the only way to fully take advantage of lots of RAM (4+ GB). Until this week, I've never encountered a serious problem using Win64 when dealing with modern computers and peripherals. This week however, that has changed.

Bell Mobility now includes the ability to "tether" your Blackberry to your computer so that you can use your BB has a wireless modem. This would allow a person to have Internet on their notebook computer anywhere they have decent cell phone reception. The data you use gets padded onto your account the same as though you were using the BB Web browser. However, it seems there are still some issues with Windows 7 64 Bit. After spending an hour of quality time with Bell Tech Support on the phone trying to get it to work with my brand new Blackberry Bold 9000, the tech gave up!

SO after that I decided to try it on my Office computer that still runs Windows XP. Worked on the first try. My mothers home computer runs Vista 32 bit, and again it worked on the first try. So I wiped the hard drive on my notebook computer and installed Win7 32 bit. The tether worked perfect.

So after 3+ years of mainstream availability of 64 bit Windows, there are still some kinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment